Stop, Drop & Move! March 2-April 5
Hello, Mt. Erie families,Today your student will be bringing home information about Stop, Drop & Move month which will focus on physical activity. “Stop, Drop & Move” means stop whatever you’re doing and move your body with a goal of reaching 60 minutes of activity a day.
- Daily activity log! Students will bring home an activity log to track daily activity in 10 minute segments. This will include during the school day (recess, PE, movement) and out of class activity (dance, hiking with the family, riding bikes–you name it!). Minutes cannot be carried over to another day. Students should be active at an intensity level which elevates their heart rate. After completing the log (seven days of at least 60 minutes of activity each day) and having it signed by a parent or guardian, they can turn in their completed log to be entered into a drawing for fun activity related prizes. Drawings will happen on Wednesdays, with the last drawing on Monday, April 6th after Spring break.
- Rene Bibaud kick-off assembly! Five-time world champion jump rope performer Rene Bibaud will perform and encourage students to make 60 minutes a day of activity a priority. Many students may run home from school excited to buy a jump rope. I recommend buyjumpropes.net as a great source of low cost, high quality jump ropes.
- Family Fitness Night March 21st 6:30-8:00 at Anacortes Middle School. Come and participate in a variety of activities–everything from big games to Wii dance, juggling and bowling–to name a few.
Activity Opportunities at Mt. Erie during the school week
Monday Morning Yoga before school beginning at 8:35.
- Tuesday Fitness with Mr. Donaldson during lunch.
- Walking School Bus Wednesdays March 4, 18 and 25. The walking school bus stop is at the Storvik Park parking lot off of 32nd. From there, parent volunteers will walk groups of students to school. The “buses” leave at 9:00 so don’t be late or you may miss out. This is walking only so no wheels.
- Walk and Wheel Wednesday March 11.
- Wii Just Dance Kids during lunch.
- Fit Friday options before school on the walking path.
So, March doesn’t have to be a dreary month–make it an active month! Stop, drop and move!