Dads Of Great Students
T-Shirt Order Form
If you have any questions about the WATCH D.O.G.S.® Program at our school,
please contact one of the individuals below or go to http://www.fathers.com/watchdogs.
Megan Schorr Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 661-7510
Jonathan Vander Schuur Email: email@example.com Phone: 840-7044
What does a Watch DOG dad/father figure do? He spends one day at school assisting with car drop off and pick up, playing with kids at recesses, eating with his student at lunch and assisting in the lunch room, working in classrooms with kids, walking the campus to ensure doors stay closed and locked, working with some of the specialists such as PE, library, and music as well as filling any need that arises… shoveling snow, for example, to ensure a safe route to the health screening trailer! It not only gives dads and other father figures an opportunity to see what his student is doing all day but also shows paternal involvement in the school. And studies have consistently shown that the more involved a parent is, the more successful children are in school.
We need more dads to sign up for a day!! Check out the calendar here. Special thanks to our February Watch DOGS: Brent Peak, Dale King, Jonathan VandeSchuur, Jeff Beltramini, Alex Coble, and Terry Hering.
The last shirt order for the year will be due MARCH 31st…so if you would like to be a WATCH DOG and don‟t have your“uniform” shirt (makes you easily recognizable to staff and students) please order one now. Order forms are available through here and if you have any questions, please ask a Watch DOG or contact Silja Shjarback at firstname.lastname@example.org or 588-0866.
Here it a sample schedule of what a Watch DOGS day might look like:
8:15 Check-in at the office for orientation, receiving schedule and name tag.
8:30 Assist with student arrival in the bus and car areas.
9:00 Have a photo taken of you and your student(s) for the Wall of Fame.
9:15 Volunteer for Mrs. Catlin in room 8.
10:00 Patrol hallways, parking lot, buildings and perimeter.
10:20 Outside recess
10:40 Volunteer for Mrs. Caruso in room 1.
11:20 Patrol hallways, parking lot, buildings and perimeter.
11:40 Lunch and recess interaction – we encourage you to eat lunch with your own student(s) and visit with the other students during this time.
12:40 Patrol hallways, parking lot, buildings and perimeter.
1:00 Volunteer for Mrs. Holtgeerts in gym.
2:00 Patrol hallways, parking lot, buildings and perimeter.
2:20 Outside recess
2:40 Volunteer for Mrs. Brynteson in room 19.
3:10 Go to the Computer Lab to take the Watch D.O.G.S.® „End of Day‟ survey and call next week‟s WatchDOG to remind him of his day.
Thank you to our wonderful November, December and January Watch D.O.G.S. volunteers. You are AWESOME! Kids don‟t forget to high five your Watch DOG when you see them at
Special thanks to: John Dumas, Kevin Harris, Rob Hoxie, Chris Johnson, Johnson, Dave Juhl, Dale King, Bob Linder, Jeff Miller, Dave Prewitt, Eric Shjarback, Dustin South, Jess Talosi, Jonathan Van der Schuur, and Mark Willingham
Thank you to all the dads/step dads/grand dads etc. who came with their kids last night to the first Dads and Kids Pizza Night! We hope you enjoyed the time together. For those who were unable to make it, you can still be a Watch DOG! Here’s a link to a national newscast showing you what a day will look like when you volunteer: http://abcnews.go.com/WN/story?id=6271282&page=1
There are 4 things you need to complete to be able to come into the school and volunteer to be a Watch DOG:
- Fill out a school district volunteer form/background check (http://asd103.org/images/stories/pdf/volunteerApp.pdf) and send to, or drop it by, the district office (2210 M Avenue).
- Order a Watch DOGS t-shirt ($13 short sleeved; $20 long sleeved) no later than Friday December 17th. Send in your order form to school with your child (or contact us and we can get you the information if you don’t have one) with your check (made out to “Mt. Erie PTA”) or cash attention to PTA Watch DOGS. Cost is slightly higher than ordering on Pizza Night due to passing the bulk order deadline.
Watch Dog Tshirt order form rev.pdf
- Become a PTA member, if you aren’t already. We can tell you if you are or not. If your significant other signed up as an individual, we can upgrade you to a family membership for $6, otherwise an individual membership is $10. Most of this fee goes to the state to advocate for our kids!
- Sign up for your Watch DOG day. The calendar will be posted in the PTA office. If you can’t get to school, contact Eric & Silja Shjarback email@example.com.
Here’s a link to a video of rapping Watch DOG dad and principal in Stanwood, very entertaining: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kco6jh9Y2MI
FREE Pizza, Drinks, Door Prizes and Fun!
On Tuesday November 9th from 6:00 – 7:00 pm we will be having our 1st annual ‘Dads and Kids’ Pizza Night at our school. You will meet here at the school cafeteria (gym) at 6:00 pm for FREE pizza and drinks. At 6:30 pm we will have a presentation about our WATCH D.O.G.S.® (Dads Of Great Students) Program. WATCH D.O.G.S.® is an innovative program being used by schools across America which helps them to be positively impacted by the committed involvement of fathers and father-figures in their student’s life. Our goal is to have you spend at least one day this year at the school to be a positive male role model and to provide an extra set of eyes and ears.
Dads, granddads, uncles, step-dads and adult brothers . . . this is your chance to have a night out alone with your student in a fun atmosphere at school.
In order to participate, you need to do two things:
1. Contact Silja at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, November 5th saying that you will attend the pizza night so we’ll have an accurate head count for the food.
2. Mark your calendars, and we’ll see you November 9th from 6:00-7:00pm. Official WATCH D.O.G.S.® Uniform T-shirts for WatchDOGS ($12) and ‘My Hero’ T-shirts for students ($11) will be available to order that evening.
Come spend some time with your student, enjoy some pizza, learn more about the Watch D.O.G. program and sign up for your day to be a Watch DOG. More details to come home at the end of October.